Friday, October 26, 2012

"This is Halloween" Nail Art Challenge: Witches

Hello again!!

Today's prompt for the "This is Halloween" Nail Art Challenge is "Witches"! My first design ended up being mostly fail, but I thought I'd share it anyway. Sometimes, stamping works, and sometimes, it doesn't! I loved my base for this one--it's NYC's Battery Park Purple with Orly Fowl Play sponged on the tips then matted down with Butter London's Matte Topcoat. I totally can't take credit for this combination. Way back before I started blogging or even thinking about starting one, I saw this done on another blog and was blown away by it's gorgeousness. Fortunately, I pinned to my nail art inspiration board, so I can give credit to the Polished Perfectionist. It was first seen on a guest post she did for Ivana Thinks Pink. So awesome!
NYC Batter Park Purple with Orly Fowl Play in matte. Indoors, artificial light, with flash.
For Halloween, I tend to associate deep purple with witches, so I thought the combination was wonderfully magical. My fail came when picking a polish to stamp with. I used Wet n' Wild's Hog-Quartz School, which has been reviewed to stamp well, but it didn't this time for me. It was my first time attempting to stamp with it, but I noticed this image is rather large and can look blob like if not done crisply. So, I think this particular image needs a polish intended to be used for stamping.

First attempt at some witch nail art--not great. Indoors, artificial light, no flash.
My next attempt was done over Hits Demeter, a gorgeous orange linear holo, with Konad Special Polish in black and came out much nicer. I used Bundle Monster plates BM-13 and BM-04 from for the witch and her little kitty familiar.

Witches nail art and Hits Demeter. Outdoors, sunlight, no flash.
I guess actual stamping polish made the difference with this design.

Second attempt--much cleaner but less interesting? Indoors, artificial light, no flash.

Check out what everyone else did today!




More soon!! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment